Monday 28 November 2016

Extended Practice: Initial Sketching and Character Design

I wasn't 100% on my story, but I knew for definite that I was going to involve young Maressa and me as characters, so I began sketching from old photographs...


Initial Character Sketches

...Then I realised, I hate character design. I love drawing people, but the second I have to come up with characters and visualise them in a space and from different angles, I struggle. I'm an animator; I want to make things move.

So, I have recruited Wing to work on my character design. I asked her if she was up for it - because she has a drawing style that I was somewhat aiming for with my own designs, and because I have worked well with her in the past - and she said she was happy to take on the job. I have since sent her a collection of old family photographs and we have sat down and discussed my idea and what it is I am after with the designs. I also set a rough deadline for her to work to; I'm not particularly in a hurry to have these completed as my main focus is nailing my story right now, so I said I'd like to have them done by the time we get back after Christmas break. Which I thought was reasonable.

I'm very excited to now be collaborating, and I can't wait to see what Wing comes up with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment