Wednesday 30 September 2015

Character and Narrative: Strike a Pose!

In today's seminar we learnt about the importance of acting in animation. Even if there is no dialogue or sound, you can still understand a character's emotions through the portrayal of their body language and expressions. These factors can also tell you a lot about that character's personality, and Disney did an especially good job of this in Big Hero 6. In this particular character test, you can see just how much the personalities differ from how they walk into the room.

Big Hero 6 Character Test

For the Strike a Pose study task, we were asked to select 5 emotions from a provided list and consider how we could make our practice model depict these emotions. The ones I decided to go for are happiness, fear, timidity, pain and confusion, and here are my results:

(Please excuse my face)

Happiness

Fear

Shy

Pain

Confusion


I'm really happy with how this task has gone, even if I did feel a bit uncomfortable performing my poses at University (hence why I resorted to taking photographs in the privacy of my room at home, please ignore the mess). Despite this, I really enjoyed recreating the poses, and think I have done a good job at portraying the emotions well considering it is a first attempt. After the success of this task, I'm looking forward to finding out if and how I can take this further.

No comments:

Post a Comment