Wednesday 30 September 2015

Character and Narrative: Strike a Pose... Let's Take it Further!

After completing my 5 poses for the Strike a Pose study task - along with an additional one I did for fun - I was feeling quite ambitious and curious to see how well I'd be able to animate the rig. So before I changed my mind, I opened up one of the videos I had had recorded for me for one of my original poses and got to work at animating it.

Video Reference of Jump

It took me a long time to get my bearings back in terms of animating and how to do it. After a while of pressing buttons and changing settings, I remembered how to set key frames but I was still unsure on how they worked on a rig. I had a few attempts where I had tried animating the jump, but something had gone wrong along the way and the limbs seemed to collapse on themselves due to either positioning them incorrectly or missing out key frames. In the end I decided to start with the hips. I positioned them accordingly and made sure I was happy with the timing for the sequence before I then moved onto the limbs, then going back at the end to add finishing touches such as the hand positioning, chest rotations and facial expressions. 

First Attempt at Animating Model

For a first attempt - and to say I came in knowing next to nothing about animating this thing - I don't think I've done a bad job. There are somethings that definitely need tweaking, for instance making the heels push up more so there is a greater illusion of force and adding ease in/out for some of the key frames, but on the whole I think the sequence looks okay. I'm definitely happy that I gave it a go, as now I have a bit more experience for when it comes to animating my own models and I also know what things I could be capable of. I also know what things to avoid and to check. For instance, I only realised at the end of animating that the playback speed wasn't set at "real time" so my key frames have been set up as if it was playing at around 60FPS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment