Wednesday 12 April 2017

Extended Practice: Weather the Storm

I wanted to take another look at 'Weather the Storm' directed by Peter Baynton. I first saw it at Manchester Animation Festival, and I loved it for its touching story and how the warmth of the colours and backgrounds complimented this. 

Weather the Storm - Peter Baynton

This short has an aesthetic that I'm striving for with my own work. The backgrounds in the film have been produced using watercolours, and I especially like how they've considered light throughout. For instance, in the first scene where the old man is in bed, you get the impression of the morning light coming through the windows/curtains, as he is laid in shadows. This is something I really want to focus with my own work, not only because it is something I've not really done before, but I also think it would really enhance the visual look of the film. As the animation is set outside, natural light is going to be a huge factor for me. The shadows that this creates will also help the animation feel less flat, which is something I am worried about as the backgrounds aren't going to be layered. Instead they are going to be scanned watercolour images. I certainly think this is something that Weather the Storm has got right in that respect, so I really need to focus on my shading.

I also like the way that the main character has been coloured. He's been coloured digitally, but with a lightly textured brush, making him fit seamlessly with the textured backgrounds. Again, something I strive for with my own work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment