Thursday 30 April 2015

Applied Animation: Progress Made on Target

As I had completed the majority of the components I got to work putting the animation together in After Effects. I opened up my original cityscape file and extended the composition so I could include my other components. As I was wanting to work linearly, I started by creating the room in which "Ramon" was smoking in, making sure you couldn't see the inside of the room around the skyscrapers by using a mask. This wasn't a particularly hard task as it only required me to line up the layers and position them where I wanted them, and then make sure they weren't visible somewhere where they shouldn't be by using masks, something that I had experience using from my tutorials and previous projects.

Skyline to Max ("Ramon")

My next step was to animate the smoke that was to be blown into the air by the character, which proved to be quite a problem. Initially there weren't any problems, and I actually found drawing the smoke to be quite entertaining as I wasn't necessarily focusing on making it "look perfect". I tested the sequence I had so far but it appeared to be moving too quickly. To solve this issue, I went back to the original file to add in more key frames to ultimately slow down the movement of the smoke. This is when problems arose. I had to make the canvas size very big so that when it was scaled down in the composition in After Effects it wouldn't appear pixelated, and because of this when I tried reopening the file the program was struggling. It was even worse when I tried to add in key frames. I did the best that I could to extend the sequence, but in the end Photoshop wouldn't let me do anything else as the file was too large. I managed to export the image sequence, and thankfully the new sequence worked a lot better and I didn't need to alter it. This is something I shall have to revise for the future, as if I had needed more content I would have been stuck. Perhaps I shall have to use a different method/program to animate sequences that are potentially going to be large files.

Initial Smoke Test

Once I had completed this scene, I was able to begin working on the next which was the girl character, Tina, taking photographs from her car. To get to this scene smoothly, I had the camera in the composition follow the smoke upwards, and continue to move in the same direction until the car was in the shot. From here I could position all my components where I wanted them, and animate the camera moving through the space, just like I had done with the first two scenes. Again this was fairly straight-forward and only took my a couple of attempts to get the camera moving how I wanted it to, and it was only until I got to animating the camera shutter did I have problems. Just like everything else so far, I had created the components I was going to need in Photoshop and imported them to AE to animate. I wanted the camera shutter blades to move into the center of the display and then retract, mimicking a photograph being taken. I tried to do this by key framing the first and last position of the blades, but I couldn't make them rotate in the way I wanted them to as they moved outwards, and I also couldn't find a way to replicate the motion path with the other components. In the end I tried to animate each blade individually. 

Shutter Test One (Speed or composition length not yet adjusted)

I think the first attempt wasn't so bad, but it wasn't moving as smoothly as I would have hoped, and I was starting to get confused with where the shapes were moving to. I decided to try and start again, so I saved the project in case I had to come back to it. I racked my brains on how I could duplicate the motion path and set it for each of the shapes, and in the end I couldn't figure out how to do it. I googled how to do it and found the solution to my problem in minutes. I created a null layer and attached it to my shape, which allowed me to duplicate and rotate the motion path I had animated. 

Shutter Test Two 

Thinking back, I don't know why I didn't google my issue when I first encountered it. I would have saved a lot of time and I wouldn't have got so worked up and stressed out. This is definitely something I should remember for the future as it will definitely help me to learn new skills in a much quicker time.

Once I had got the movement sorted, I was able to include this composition into my current project. I wanted the shutter to close and open revealing the name of an actor in the film. In order for me to do this I had to create the text in Photoshop like I had everything else. I wanted to use the same font as I had used for my title test, as this closely resembled the cover of the book, but I was unsure of the style and the colour of the text, so decided to experiment slightly.

Initial Tests

I started by typing out the actor's name and adding a red pattern over the top of the text, similar to the background I used in the Target Title I produced earlier in the project. I liked how it looked, but I thought it didn't quite follow the style I had with the animation. I tried again but changed the technique slightly. This time I allowed for the background pattern to make up the shape of the text. I very much preferred this method as it was much more visually pleasing and more suited for the animation. I created the rest of the text I was going to need and implemented them into the title sequence.


Completed Text

Once I had finished these three scenes, I realized I only had about 10 seconds left. My Target Title was around 8 seconds long, which meant if I wanted to include it at the length it stood at, I wasn't going to have enough time left to animate the third scene I was hoping to include. I very much liked the title animation as it was and figured this was more important to include, so I just scrapped the next scene (Tina tied up to a chair) and imported the title sequence to see how it would look at the end of my project. The animation seemed to run smoothly with this addition, so I think I had made the right choice, but if I had made an animatic at the beginning of the project or carried out further planning, I may have realised that I wouldn't have had enough time to include everything. I don't think it's too much of an issue this time around, as I have still been able to set the scene for the movie without giving away too many details, but this could have been a big problem had I have been working on a linear story. I shall definitely have to remember to carry out this planning in the future so I don't miss out any important scenes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment