Thursday 14 May 2015

Model Making: (Missed) Session Four and Five

Due to being ill, I wasn't able to attend the fourth session we had with Don. In this session the group had the chance to create the second half of their caster moulds ready for their fifth session where they would create a foam model. I was, however, able to attend the fifth and final session, but because I hadn't been able to complete my plaster mould I wasn't able to partake in what the rest of the class were doing. Instead I just sat back and watched and helped others where I was needed.

In order to make the foam models, we have to coat the inside of the mould with jelly, so that the mixture doesn't stick to the plaster. Once this is done, the two halves of the cast need to be tightly secured by wrapping a tight, thick strip of rubber to keep them together. This allows for the foam mixture to be poured into the hole in the feet and not have any mixture seep out of the sides/any gaps.

I found that the mixture needs to be mixed very thoroughly and rapidly, as the liquid soon turns into foam. If not mixed enough the texture of the foam will not be as smooth, but instead will have a rough, bubbly surface. I was also able to see the importance of making sure there is enough jelly on the mould because if the foam sticks it is very hard to remove the model and more delicate features can rip off.  We also learnt that you can create a thin wire skeleton and place it inside the cast so that you can pour the foam mixture around it, which will allow the model to be moved into different positions, just like our plasticine models.

I am quite disappointed that I didn't get the chance to finish my model, as I was really enjoying the hands-on work and was happy with how it was coming along. Having said this, I did sit in on the class so I do know how to do the process myself, so if I ever explore with stop motion or puppets in the future I will know what I am doing. The classes were definitely useful to me, as now I am aware of the things I am able to achieve down in ceramics, but I'm not too phased about not having completed my model as I haven't pursued stop motion this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment