Thursday 14 May 2015

Module OUAN406 Evaluation

For Applied Animation I pushed myself to make an animation using After Effects, as I really enjoyed the tutorials where I was shown how to make 3D layers and use the camera tool. I was also yet to create an animation using the program and I thought it would benefit me to try and broaden my range of skills. I surprised myself at how quickly I picked it up, and was actually able to get the program to do what I wanted, resulting in an animation that I am very proud of. I didn't even encounter a great deal of problems whilst working on my title sequence, and the ones that I did I was able to overcome rather quickly/easily. For example, I couldn't work out how to duplicate the motion path I wanted the camera shutter components to take, so I started to try and animate each one individually when I couldn't figure it out. I have now learnt the importance of googling my issues/asking others for help, and not just trying to work everything out for myself. If I had've done this earlier, I would have saved myself a lot of time and frustration, but the main thing is I now know for next time and that it's okay to admit that you don't know how to do something.

I've also found this module to be one of my favourites because of the new processes and programs I have been able to explore. When I was first applying for the course I thought to myself that I wanted to experiment with 3D work, as the work that I had seen other people produce on the internet had always fascinated me, so I was really happy when I got to try Maya for myself. At first the program really intimidated me as it was so complex and hard to understand, but the more I practiced it and the more I came to understand the tools, I found myself really enjoying it. I didn't find the opportunity to use the program this time around (although, looking back it probably would have been quicker/effective for me to produce my London skyline in Maya, but I realised this too late. If I have the time I think it might be nice to try this out to see what it would have looked like) but I'm looking forward to potentially experimenting with it further, as I have only scratched the surface with the things I can do using it, and I can see myself really enjoying it. I have also enjoyed my model making tutorials, and again, even though I haven't had the opportunity to tie in what I have learnt into this module, I think I definitely want to explore stop motion further in the future. I liked that model making was a change from sitting in front of a computer for hours on end and I also enjoyed the fiddly, hands-on element of animation. 

As a whole, I think this module has been a great success for me. I have enjoyed learning new techniques and processes and I have been able to build upon new and existing skills to create something that I am proud of. I'm also happy that I have been more organised for this module. Similarly to Visual Language, I blogged about my process and the work I had been producing as I went along, so I never really fell behind. The exception to this is when production came to a holt for a couple of days whilst I was focusing on my PPP, but because I had planned ahead and gave myself plenty of time to get my animation finished I didn't find myself stressing out or struggling to get finished. I actually worked a lot quicker than I had expected, so I had plenty of time left over. This is something I definitely need to keep up in the future, as it has been refreshing to be organised for a change and to not get worked up over my project. 


No comments:

Post a Comment