Wednesday 8 February 2017

Extended Practice: Initial Research and Inspirations - Birdbox

Sketchy Ice creams is an animation by Birdbox Studios, which has the general feel/tone that I would like to capture with my own animation. The short depicts a Father struggling to take care of his two children on his own, whilst the Mother goes to get ice creams. It is a light-hearted and lively animation, that focuses on the animation of the characters. I like how the children have been animated with a different energy to the Father, to show the difference in age. This is something I am going to have to consider with my own characters, as they are only young children.

Sketchy Ice Creams

The animations shows the Father's attempts at keeping the children safe and entertained, and how he keeps failing to do so. In that respect, the story is similar to my own, the difference being that my characters are going to be failing at flying a kite. Because of this, it might be a nice idea to have a static camera shot like this. It will be easy to follow the sisters' attempts at flying the kite, and would allow me to focus on the character movement. 

I can also refer to how Birdbox have avoided using dialogue, as I am not going to be using any dialogue myself. Instead, they have used subtle sound effects and noises to help aid the story and the character's emotions. For instance, the Father gasps as the boy is hit by the swing to show he is shocked, and worried for the character's well-being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment