Thursday 9 February 2017

Extended Practice: Making a Start on Storyboarding

I had to put designing on hold for the time being, as I had arranged to meet up with the LCoM students that I had agreed to work with on this project. I had made a few decisions on the story since the initial idea brainstorm, but I was yet to decide on what exactly was going to happen in the story, and how it was going to look. I had decided that;

- I wasn't going to have the characters grow up by the end of the film. I couldn't figure out how I was going to make this work without it being confusing to the audience.

- The story was going to end with the kite getting stuck in a tree, and the two sisters walking away together.

- I didn't want the camera angle/shot to remain static, like I had previously contemplated (Sketchy Ice Creams by Birdbox as an example). Instead I wanted to use a variety of shots as I thought this would be better for portraying emotion of the characters, and make for a more interesting, dynamic animation.

I thought the best thing for me to do was to just sit down and thumbnail, so I could make quick, snappy decisions; otherwise I was going to end up spending way too much time stewing over my options. I made up storyboard roughs on sticky notes, and worked out a story that seemed to flow. Once I was happy with the story, I laid out what I had and got fellow students, and Mike, to take a look to see what they thought. They all seemed to understand what was going on, and generally didn't have too much to say about how it was going to look. Only the odd shot/camera angle change was suggested as an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment