Thursday 9 February 2017

Extended Practice: Initial Research and Inspirations - Japan and Studio Ghibli

Whilst on my trip to Japan in January, I had the pleasure of visiting the Studio Ghibli museum. The experience was one that I'll never forget, and the art work was out of this world. Since I was wanting to experiment with watercolour, I knew that it would be a good idea for me look at Ghibli for reference/inspiration. Their background design is truly phenomenal, and I would like to capture the realism of their environments to a certain extent. I made sure to buy myself an art book that I would be able to refer to during this project (I also just wanted one, because they're gorgeous).

Scans from The Art of 'Howls Moving Castle'

I also wanted to look at Ghibli for reference because the characters that Wing has designed for me are very 'anime'. I've not worked with characters of this style before, so looking at the way Ghibli's characters are animated will definitely be beneficial. Especially as I am looking to animate the characters with naturalistic movements, ones that will capture the personality and liveliness of young sisters; something that Ghibli has been very successful with in their films. For example, Mei in My Neighbor Totoro (1988).

Mei - My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

I was also interested in how their characters worked in the environments. Their backgrounds are so heavily detailed, yet their characters tend to be block colour, with the exception of cel shading, though they don't feel out of place. This is something I am hoping to achieve with my own work...

Still from Howl's Moving Castle (2004) - Example of heavily detailed background


Examples of Detail

...though I haven't gone as detailed as this. Instead the detail I have included in my own work has been loose dots/splashes of colour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment