Thursday 29 October 2015

Responsive: Individual Practice

A week or so ago, our class was presented with a new brief for the responsive module. The brief outlined that we were to identify and respond to a number of different competition briefs that reflect our creative interests. We have quite a while to complete the brief (until April, so 7 months) but I thought it would be best to spread out my work load and partake in a few competitions now, so I don't have to leave everything until last minute when I may have a lot more on my plate.

I scanned through a couple of briefs and one that immediately caught my eye was the BBC's Scream Street Animation Short competition. The brief required me to either produce a 10-20 panel storyboard or a 45-60 second animatic that outlined a narrative for two of the show's characters, Dig the dog and Lulu the leech.

Snippet of the Brief 
 
 If I am to be successful with my application, I will be invited to go to the studios in Manchester (Factory) and work with their mentors to see my ideas come to life in animation. This is the part that stood out to me the most. I am interested in creating animations for an age range of 6-12 like the brief outlined, but it is this opportunity that made me very eager to compete. I am yet to experience working in industry and it is something that I have wanted to experience for a while, especially as it is something I am strongly considering pursuing as a career (working at a company with a team of animators).

The only downside to this brief was that the deadline was the 30th October, and I had only found out about it on the 25th. I still thought this was do-able, and said to myself if I could come up with a good enough idea I would push myself to get it finished within 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment