Thursday 29 October 2015

Responsive: Completeing the Storyboard

Now that I had my chosen idea in mind, I decided to refine it and jot down exactly what was going to happen before I considered shot framing and generally making the storyboard. The final idea was;

- Dig is looking around for something to do.
- He finds Lulu sitting with her bowl of blood and some bones. He wants to eat to so tries to get her to give him some food.
- Lulu looks at the bag of treats and ignores Dig.
- Dig tries to pester Lulu into giving him some treats.
- Lulu finally gives in a throws Dig a couple of treats. They land circling a bin.
- Dig runs over to eat the treats, but because they don't get digested they land back on the floor intact. He keeps circling the bin eating the same treats over and over again.
- Lulu laughs, and Dig finally realises what he is doing, and licks ("kisses") Lulu for laughing at him.


The entries were going to judged on five main criteria (as well as the submission form answers that we also had to send in alongside our final products); Originality, Creativity, Characters, Story, Structure.
In my eyes I thought this was going to be a good submission. As far as I am aware the idea hadn't been used before and accuretly portrayed the character's personalities. I had used 4 props (with the limit being 5) and even though it was suggested that one or two would be plenty, I still feel that the story is very character driven. Two of the props (the bin and the dumpster) had only been used to drive the movements of the characters. The bin was there as something for Dig to circle around, and Lulu was sat on the dumpster to stop Dig from immediately getting to the bones and enabling him to jump up at her.

Because I was happy with the idea I got started on producing the storyboard. I started by drawing out the different panels in my sketchbook, with the intention of transfering them to a storyboard template.


Sketchbook Pages

Although the brief said that we were not going to be judged on our ability to draw, I thought it would be best to give my storyboard some colour. I thought this would help my storyboard stand out and failing this it would still give me practice at working with Photoshop. So that's what I went ahead and did. Once I was finished I uploaded the images to a storyboard template we were instructed to submit, and added the finishing touches and directions. Once I had done this and filled out my submission form, I was ready to submit my entry. I had shown a couple of my peers my entry and they seemed to like it/not have any problems with it, so I sent it off. 

Selection From My Storyboard Entry


Fingers crossed!

Email Response

Update: I have since received an email that stated that my entry was not selected for the short list. I got a bit excited when I realised I had an email from the CBBC as I didn't think they'd email me to say I'd been unsuccessful, so I was a little let down when I realised that I had been. I wasn't really expecting to be successful with my entry as I felt rushed to finish it and send it off, but it definitely would have been nice considering I'm actually fond of my final colour panels. Still, I have learned from the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment