Sunday 1 November 2015

Telling Tales: Modelling My Own Character - Getting Started

As we had considered everything we felt we needed to before we got started with modelling, we thought it'd be best to make a start, especially as we had been given good feedback from our interim critique as a "go ahead". Before I started, I quickly revisited the proportions of my Giraffe/Deer/Antelope character and re-sized the head slightly so it was larger, indicating strongly that it was a child. I didn't make too many adjustments as I figured it would just be easier to alter the model if needed, as I will already have the basic shape as a guideline from my sketches/image planes.

So I got to work.

I wanted to refrain from following the video tutorials again, as I wanted to see how much information I had retained, and up to now I haven't needed to use them and have still managed to make a good start, with a shape for the character that I am pleased with.



Screenshots of Progress

I'd say my character is coming along nicely. I have opted to just modelling half again like I had done with my demo character in an attempt to save time and effort, but I may go back and look at re-positioning some vertices once the character is completed and mirrored if I want to make my Giraffelope asymmetric which will help build character, according to Sara's lecture on character design. 

Adding an Extra Edge Loop to The Hoof so That It's Not as Round at The Bottom of The Foot

I've still got a lot to do, but I think I've made good progress so far - it's certainly looking like my initial drawings anyway - and I don't think it's going to take me too long to get this finished. I'm seeming to be applying my new knowledge of Maya to this project well, but we shall see about that and if I run into any other problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment