Wednesday 11 November 2015

Telling Tales: Modelling My Own Character - Finishing Off

The day I finish my model has finally come. In this morning's studio session, I sat down and added the finishing touches to my character, which involved creating custom attributes to aid the character's movement. The first one I looked at was making my giraffe blink.

Added Blink Attribute

This was very straight forward; all I had to do was key the 'blink value' at 10 when the eyelids were fully open, and then key it at 0 when the eyelids were set to close (or the other way around, I can't remember but it doesn't make a difference). This means that I can now make my character blink without having to set the keyframes of each of the eyelids, which will be a lot easier in the long run. 

The next attributes that the video tutorial looked at was ones related to the hands and feet. I completely skipped out the hand section of the video as my character doesn't have any fingers to bend, but I did look briefly at the feet. I know my character has hooves for feet, but I thought 'Peel Heel' might have worked/been beneficial as the character would then be able to move more realistically/smoothly.

I was wrong.

Trying out 'Peel Heel'

 When I rotated the peel heel attribute it distorted the hoof in a way that wasn't realistic. I feel that the peel heel would have worked if the hoof had been longer, but because of the size this hasn't really worked. I have now removed this attribute but at least I know how to set up the peel heel for any future projects, an I also know that it is not an option for this character.

The last thing I had to do was to neaten up the outliner, and make sure that the character could be scaled effectively. This was another easy process as I just had to select the correct components/groups and Constrain > Scale, and now I am finished with modelling and have a nice and tidy outliner which will make it much easier to animate with. 

Final Outliner

My next step from here is to consult with Emma about how she is getting on with her character, and discuss how we are going to tackle animating as I am now ready to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment