Thursday 5 November 2015

Responsive: Made You Look

In this evening's twilight session, rather than receiving a lecture about our module or be given further information, we sat down to watch "Made You Look", a documentary about creativity in the digital age. I found it really interesting. The film was only about an hour or so long but it gave great insight into what it's like creating work in this day and age.


Ian Stevenson

I thought it was nice to hear different practitioners point of views, and how they got into the industry and where their influences came from. It was also refreshing to see both sides of the argument when it came to digital and hand made. Personally I think there is a great demand for both, and both methods are better for producing different things, so I don't like that some people didn't really appreciate the beauty of digital media and vice versa.

It was also interesting to see the influence that social media had on the different practitioners. Some artists thought it was essential to getting their art work out into the world and getting clients on board, whereas some didn't feel the need for it at all, and said they wouldn't mind if the internet actually shut down for a while. Which to me was baffling. Having said this I shall take away that it isn't necessarily essential as there are other means of getting your work done, but on the other hand I think as an animator it will definitely benefit me to stay on top of social media as it will be much easier for me to take advantage of it.

Another thing that I will take away from the film is to not be so precious about my work. "Just make something." Sometimes it is just as important to stop waiting around for a client to come to you, but instead make the work you want to create and just get your work out there. This will give you practice and help build your skills, but also you could attract new and different clients with the work you produce. It's better to be doing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment