Thursday 4 February 2016

Applied Animation: Transition Tests

Here is a quick test I carried out, looking at how colour could be introduced into the animation. I made a few watercolour drops in Photoshop using some brushes I was experimenting with and imported them into After Effects and used masks to make them appear on the 'page'. 

Watercolour Test

When we last met up as a group we talked about wanting to carry out transition tests, both digitally and traditionally to see what medium we wanted to go with. I produced a very quick transition test of our first scene to see how the lines could potentially form the subject, in the case the pregnant lady's belly.

Transition Plan

Traditional Transition Test


When we discussed our progress with Martin and Sara, Martin told us about how he had animated his transitions over the course of 16 frames when working at 24fps, and kept this consistent throughout his work. We decided to test this with our own transitions, and that is what I have done here. The lines form the Mother's stomach 16 frames into the animation. The hands are then animated on 2s. Personally, I thought this seemed a bit too quick, but Oscar and Wing thought this could be down to how quickly the animation ends, and that it will look fine when more of the story is animated afterwards.

I personally thought this test went well, and I like the look of the fine-liner against the digitally made 'watercolour paper'. It was also a nice change from animating digitally and if further tests go well I would love to return to this method. We shall discuss this on Monday's critique and see what others have to say about what we have got so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment