Wednesday 18 March 2015

After Effects Tutorial: Working in 3D

In our last After Effects tutorial, we were taught how to create 3D layers and how we could work with them in a 3D space. To get familiar with the tools, we created a few solid layers and played around with them. Here I have looked at the positioning of the layers in the composition, which you can see more clearly when the camera I created pans around the shapes. I had also experimented with lighting. I attached the spot light to the camera, hoping that it would follow it as the camera moved around the space to light up the shapes. It was successful at doing so when the layers were parallel to the camera's lens, but when it rotated around the shapes they were no longer lit up. I'm not sure why it did this, so I'm going to experiment further if I am wanting to create something similar to this. 

Testing 3D Tools

Once we had become familiar with the tools, we were asked to apply our knowledge to a new project, and animate the infamous boat composition. I feel I have been more successful with this animation, and I like how smooth it runs (with the exception of two wave layers that I was able to loop perfectly). I have made the camera pan in towards the boat and I like that I have been able to create a depth of field by making the clouds in the background and the waves in the foreground blurry. This is certainly a useful feature that I didn't know existed. I have also been able to adjust the light settings to change the atmosphere of the piece (i.e. brighter lights for the "morning", darker light for the "night").

Applying Knowledge to an Animation

Overall I'm very pleased with how this session has gone, and the information I have acquired from the tutorial. I have thoroughly enjoyed learning how to use the programme in more depth, and I'm looking forward to see if I can apply my knowledge to my current/future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment