Thursday 12 March 2015

Form, Flow and Force: Ice Age

I wanted to talk about an example of animation where the character struggles to lift a heavy object, considering I have explored this briefly whilst drawing my models in the Ah, Push It section of the brief. The first thing I thought of was Ice Age and the struggles that Scrat has with his Acorn/s.

Ice Age - Scrat Clip

I chose this scene in particular because I think it is a great example, as it really shows that Scrat is struggling to lift the acorn out of the ground. You can tell that it is really stuck because of how much he shakes and straightens his arms when he attempts to lift the acorn, not just this but also how much his spine curves and reverses as he tries to loosen the object. The anticipation of the lifting also implies how stuck the acorn is. Before it was lodged in the ice, Scrat had no problem lifting the acorn and so didn't anticipate the lift, showing that it was a light object. The contrast between this and the actions he performs to get the acorn out of the ice only emphases how stuck it actually is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment