Tuesday 10 March 2015

Form, Flow and Force: Rhythm is a Dancer

For the Rhythm is a Dancer part of this brief, we were to produce a series of 12-18 drawings that explore someone moving through a space, each pose lasting around 10 seconds. I got together with four other students so we could all pose for each other so we would all be able to get our required amount of drawings. We pushed together some tables to act as a catwalk, and we just went crazy. Originally we were planning on doing simple walking sequences, but we figured we'd have four lots of drawings that looked almost alike. So instead we did sequences that were more suited to our personality and over the top. 

Sequence One - James

My first set of drawing is of James. I was unsure how I was going to tackle this task as I had never drawn as quickly as that before, so I started of by drawing James as a collection of shapes and lines. I think this worked to some extent, but I don't like how sketchy they are and how they lack detail. I know this was supposed to be the point, as I'm supposed to be focusing on the movement of the character, but I feel that the addition of a few more details would help capture movement more accurately.



Sequence Two - Matt

For my second sequence I switched from pencil to pen as I thought this would encourage me to work more definitely. This was generally the case, and I very much prefer this sequence to my first. The movement of Matt was captured much more accurately in this set of images. Where as I think this was down to practice predominantly, I also think that the addition of the extra details played a part in this. I feel much more comfortable drawing observationally/accurately than I do abstract, and I think this reflects in my final outcomes. 




Sequence Three - Katy

I took the opportunity to experiment further with media in my third sequence, and looked at using coloured pencil to draw in. This is something that I have never done before, and it always baffled me when I would see people sketching in colour. I didn't understand why you would do this if you could use lead pencil and incorporate colour later on if needs be. Now that I have tried it for myself, I definitely see the appeal. I'm not even fully sure why I enjoyed using them so much, but I do feel that my drawings feel less "sketchy" in colour when compared to pencil. 
I feel I have improved massively in my life drawing sketches, and I feel I have been able to capture Katy's movement and body shape well. Having said this, I have to point out that I did go over my initial sketches to make the drawing more defined, but I did manage to get down the general shape within the approximate 10 seconds, which I am pleased about.



Sequence Four - Emma

For my last sequence I continued using red and blue coloured pencil, considering I had been successful with my third sequence sketches. I think I continued to be successful using them in this last sequence, but similarly to three I did spend a couple of minutes going over the drawings to create a more definite line. 
Where as I think some of the drawings of Emma have been a couple of the strongest I have produced for this brief so far, I didn't really plan it out too well. I had ran out of space come the last image, and rather than waste a whole page to feature just one drawing, I did a large scale sketch instead. It would have been nice to see them all the same size and proportion (this also applies to all the drawings I have done today) but I simply ran out of room. If I had planned this better, I could have put together one long piece of paper and had all the poses in a line.

Overall I'm very pleased with how this part of the brief has gone. I started out a bit sketchy, but you can definitely see an improvement as the day went on, and I have been able to produce some fairly accurate sketches of my models, if I do say so myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment