Tuesday 14 October 2014

Storyboard Examples: Brave



I think Brave is a brilliant animation, and I'll probably ramble on about it at some point in the future, but  that's not why I'm blogging right now. I'm here to talk about this storyboard in particular. I believe it to be a very good example of a storyboard, as the drawings are quite basic yet they still explain what is going on in the scene very well. It has a good mixture of different shots and camera angles, something that I tried to do with my own. It doesn't have any annotation to explain what is happening in each scene, but then again I don't think it was necessary to include it. It's perfectly clear to me what they are expecting to happen from these illustrations. I also like how there is a difference in art styles between some of the frames, so not only does this storyboard provide a good visual aid, it is also an interesting piece in itself.
I like how they have used a splash of orange in the third box. I can only think that this would be to differentiate between the two characters without having to use labels or colour the whole thing, considering the Mother and Merida look fairly similar in these drawings. It would have been nice to see the whole storyboard in colour, but on the other hand, I like the use of shading here. I think they have been able to explain lighting quite well in the frames that have been shaded, which again is quite useful to the production team.

It would be quite nice to develop my own storyboards in this way. If it comes to explaining or planning out a particular scene in great detail, I think this would be a good way to go, especially as I feel this is a very successful storyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment