Friday 24 October 2014

Pixilation Task: Part One, Planning.

In yesterday's studio session we were taught about pixilation and was given the task to produce our own animation using this technique. The animation was to be no longer than 1200 frames and was to explore one of the following relationships:
  • Predator and Prey
  • Host and Parasite
  • Parent and Child
I had a few initial ideas on what I could do but not a solid idea, so to get started I did a bit of brainstorming. I looked at each theme individually so I could make a decision on what it was I wanted to do. 

Brainstorming for Parent and Child


I started with Parent and Child (I tell a lie it was actually Predator and Prey, but what you gonna' do about it?), and I think I came up with some pretty good ideas from looking at the definitions of these words on Google (I did this for all six words in the brief). The main idea I got from this mind map was to deal with the subject of losing a parent or a child, and act out a scene that involved the two together - for instance dancing or playing at the park - and then have one of them unexpectedly disappear, representing either the death of the parent/child, or to show that they had already died and it was somewhat like a recall of events/looking back on a particular memory.


Notes for Host and Parasite


Next I looked at Host and Parasite (this time I'm actually telling the truth). The main ideas that I got for this relationship was to have a human become infected or possessed by a parasite and become destructive. My favourite setting that I came up with for this was a News Studio. I think it has potential to be quite entertaining and the events that would lead up to the destruction would make sense and be relevant, I.e preparing to go on air. Up to now it was looking like my favourite idea and one that had the most potential. 


Notes for Predator and Prey


Lastly (firstly) I looked at Predator and Prey. Again I really liked some of the things I was able to come up with for this one, the main idea being to base the animation on Online Predators. I would have the predator be represented by the computer and have it "come to life" and start attacking the computer user/victim/prey with the mouse and the cables. I think this is a good idea for interaction between human and prop which is a requirement of the brief I have been presented with.


Here's a Sketch of a Leech. Enjoy.


I really like all three ideas, but after some thought I think that my Host and Parasite idea has the most potential. I think the storyline is pretty solid and provides me with enough content to reach my minimum frame count. The Parent and Child idea was a nice way to make the story relate to my own personal experience, but the topic is quite depressing and I think it be best that I stick to more cheery subjects, especially as I believe that the pixilation style best suits happier topics. Then again it might have been nice to try and make it work with this idea.
I think my Predator and Prey idea could have easily worked as a story, but I think it needs more work/thought to make it long enough to meet requirements, and as I only have a week to plan and create my animation, it just makes sense to roll with an idea that is quite solid as it stands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment