Tuesday 14 October 2014

Storyboard Examples: Up and For The Birds


In January of this year, I had the privilege to go to Paris with my Art Foundation course for a week. The trip was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and I have never been on a trip that I have enjoyed as much as that one. The highlight was definitely going to the Pixar exhibition that was being held at Les Docks, an exhibition I was extremely lucky to fall on as it was only there for a couple of months.

At the exhibiton, there were original drawings, sketches, models, storyboards and designs from many of their movies, the most memorable ones for me being Brave, Toy Story, Wall-e and Up. It was truly spectacular to see these things first hand, and it really made me think about the work that goes into perfecting the film.
Whilst there I was able to buy a catalouge that is filled with a lot of what I saw at the exhibiton, including some storyboards, some of which I have chose to talk about here.
(Apologies for the following photos being the worst quality photographs you have ever seen - It's quite awkward to photograph pages of a book).






















These are two images I have taken from my Pixar Catalouge. They show the storyboard for "For The Birds", and was created by Ralph Eggleston. I think this is another great example of a storyboard, especially in early stages. The sketches are really rough and you can even see the original circular guidelines of the bird's bodies, but Eggleston was still able to explain the scene very well. It does however lack a range of camera angles, and the shot is always head on, with only minimal variation in shot framing. I don't necessarily think this is such a bad thing in this case, as there isn't much going on in this scene, but a few close up of the bird's expressions might have been a good addition to this storyboard. You can see in the enlarged sketch, that this is something that was later implimented, as there is a slight blue box around the birds in the middle to show that the camera is to zoom into that section of the frame.


Just for starters, this photograph really doesn't do this storyboard any justice, but it's the best I'm going to get as it is featured over two pages in the catalouge. With that being said, this is a beautiful storyboard that explains the story of Carl and Ellie. It has been put together by a series of artists; Nick Sung, Josh Cooley, Justin Hunt, Rob Gibbs, Bill Presing and Ronnie del Carne. I think it's a great idea having more than one person working on a storyboard, as I like how the different art styles can come together to make one interesting piece, similar to the Brave storyboard I showed earlier today.
I think this is a good example of a more developed storyboard, as it has a variety of shots and includes a lot more detail. It has also considered the use of colour in some of the frames. I think it flows nicely too, but this might be a bias view, considering I know what happens in the film. Maybe it would be harder to understand if I hadn't seen it, as there isn't an explanation as to how one frame leads to the next, or what really happens in each frame in terms of movement or actions. Having said this, I believe it has done a good job at picking out the key events in the scene and giving the audience/production team a good idea of what they want to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment