Monday 13 October 2014

Flippin 'eck: Flipbook Session 1

Despite feeling half dead all day, I've thoroughly enjoyed it. We started the day by learning about the 12 Principles of Animation, and it turns out I had come across a lot of them without even noticing it, much like Visual Literacy. For instance, I had used "Arcs" in the drawn animations I produced on my Art Foundation course last year, especially when it came to the movement of my characters. I had also looked at "Timing", and had fewer drawings to make my character appear as though he was moving much quicker. Some of the principles I hadn't heard of, such as "Straight Ahead and Pose to Pose Animation", but now that I have learnt about them they seem quite self-explanatory, and were quite easy to get my head around. Whether I'll be able to put this knowledge to good practice is a different story however...

Following on from this lecture, we were asked to produce a series of flipbooks that took into consideration two - in this case - key principles; Squash & Stretch and Timing & Spacing. The task at hand seemed quite easy to do, as we were only to draw the sequence of a ball bouncing in different ways, but when it got down to it, I found it quite challenging. I really had to think about how the ball was going to react when it hit the surface/ground, whilst trying to keep the ball at a constant volume. I also had to make sure that the spacing between each frame was correct, so that it didn't seem that the ball was falling/bouncing to fast or too slow.

 
Warning: May trigger epilepic fits due to poor animating skills

Considering this has been the first attempt at a flipbook since I was about ten, I don't think I have done too bad of a job. I think I did quite well at keeping the ball at a similar size between frames, and I think the bounce sequence looks quite realistic.

 
Warning: Again, may trigger epilepic fits due to poor animating

In my opinion, my second flipbook was more successful than the first. In this sequence, I made the ball bounce up against the wall and change direction. Whilst doing this, I had to take into consideration the arcs that the ball would make, aswell as the inital "Squash & Stretch" and "Timing & Spacing" priniciples, and I think I did a good job.

 
Apologies for this being the laziest animation you've ever seen.

In my last flipbook of the day, I wanted to animate two balls bouncing besides one another and give each ball a slightly different characteristic. Whereas this was a good idea, it didn't look so good on paper. The balls defy the laws of physics by falling at different speeds. I DID want one ball to appear as though it had been dropped or thrown with a greater force, so that it would fall quicker and have a harder impact on the ground, but I don't think I was able to execute this very well. I think this is due to the shape of the ball as it is falling to begin with. Maybe if I exaggerated the shape, and had it more oval shaped as it was dropped, it would look like it was travelling at higher speeds. I could also have done this by increasing the gap between each frame.
Despite my flipbook not quite working out the way that I wanted it to, I still think the bouncing sequence for each of the balls was quite realistic. It has also made me think about things I could do to improve and experiment with in the future, so all in all it has been a positive, productive day.


No comments:

Post a Comment