Thursday 11 May 2017

Extended Practice: Creating a Poster

One of the items on my agenda was to create a poster for my film. Before I got started I quickly researched existing movie posters, both live action and animated films, though I already had an idea of what I wanted my poster to look like.

Poster Examples

The general template across the film posters that I found consisted of having a big defining image, and the title of the film in the blank spaces, usually tucked away at the edges; Exactly what I was planning to do!


 Poster Plan and Photo Reference

For the poster I very easily could have used a still from the animation, to save myself a bit of time, but there weren't very many character poses that I thought would be appropriate for the poster. In my head I saw the characters standing together holding the kite, almost as if they were posing for the poster. I also wanted to show that the two characters were close and simply having them stand side-by-side (which is what the outcome most likely would have been had I have used a still from the film) didn't really get this message across to the audience, so I went for drawing a new pose. I even fished out an old photograph of the two of us for reference and authenticity. 

Final Poster

I'm really happy with how my poster turned out and I think it accurately portrays the nature of my film. I'm glad I opted to re-drawing the characters as it's made more a more dynamic and interesting poster. It also didn't take me too long to make, as I was able to re-use the background design and text that I had made for the opening titles/trailer. 
(I did want to feature LCAs logo on there too, one that was coloured using the same brush as I used for the text, but I couldn't decide where I wanted to put it. It either felt out of place, or distracted too much from the characters, so in the end I scraped it. I will make sure to use it in my final film however). 

No comments:

Post a Comment