Thursday 18 May 2017

Extended Practice: Festival Research

Manchester Animation Festival

Manchester Animation Festival is a festival I've always seen myself targeting with my film because I am obviously familiar with this event and it is local. I'd like to submit here, not just because of the convenience, but I think it also has great opportunities and is very suited to my film. Having been there myself before, I know it has a great focus on student films, and they accept a huge variety of styles and genre of films.


The deadline also seems very achievable for me. The website also outlines that you can in-fact submit work in progress, so long as it is completed by August. 


It's also nice to know that I've already produced (for the most part), everything the festival is looking for in terms of submission, and the film I submit doesn't have to be exclusive to this festival, which means I would still be able to submit to other festivals too.

Manchester is definitely a festival I would like to submit to, and I plan on doing just that.


Animex
There's not a lot of festivals that I am actually aware of, but Animex is one that I have heard about so wanted to look it up to see if it was suitable to submit here. The festival seems very student friendly having recently adding new categories such as "Best First Animation", and is open to all techniques and mediums. It has two student categories that I would be eligible to win, including 2D Animation Award and Character Animation Award.



It also has had an impressive judging panel in the past, which is a plus.

Unfortunetly the deadline for submissions for this year has already passed, but I could always look into submitting here for next year. The film requirements for this year stated that the film had to have been made after May 2015 allowing for it to have been completed for around a year and a half. This means I should have no problem waiting for next year's submission if I decide I'd like to submit here. I definitely want to push Kites' potential, so this may be likely. 


Leeds International Film Festival
LIFF is another festival that looks like it has wonderful opportunities. Not only is it incredibly local and convenient, it is a qualifying event for the BAFTAs. I couldn't even imagine being nominated for a BAFTA, but I definitely like the sound of it. As if that wasn't enough, the festival also offers cash prizes, which is always good in my eyes. 


Though at a glance it doesn't seem that the festival has a particular student focus/category, and that the competition for this festival is most likely to be huge, I see no reason why I shouldn't submit here. The film doesn't have to be exclusive, and the deadline for this festival is later than the others I have looked at, giving me more time to really nail the finishing touches to my animation. 

It looks like LIFF is a definite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment