Friday 5 May 2017

Extended Practice: Final Crit

I chose to colour the scene where the kite crashes down in front of my character, as its a scene I've received a lot of praise for. I started out by painting a few backgrounds that could be slotted into the scenes, which made me feel better about the progress of my film. The backgrounds didn't take too long to produce, and I realised that some of them could easily be re-used if I scaled them correctly, which means that my film is going to seem to come together quickly once I've slotted these in.


Scanned Backgrounds

When it came to colouring the character, I wanted to experiment briefly with watercolour brushes. The one I had used before in my pre-production test was okay, and it did work well in the beginning, but I realised I wanted to use a brush that would work just as well with the pressure settings turned off. I wanted to make sure that the opacity of the colours was consistent throughout the frames as I didn't want the boiling of the colours to be too distracting/extreme, and I thought this was the best way to do this. I also figured by doing this it would speed up the colouring process as I wouldn't have to focus on achieving a watercolour look; the brush would create the texture for me automatically.



Coloured Scene

The colouring of the scene took a lot longer than I initially anticipated. I think it's going to be a real struggle to get finished on time, so it might be worth exploring whether it would be plausible to cut some scenes out, and/or re-use footage in areas. I think the story is well realised, and there doesn't seem to be any unnecessary scenes, but for submission it might be worth shortening the story in a way that it still makes sense, to enable me to have a finished piece. I can always return to finishing the cut scenes in the weeks before exhibition. 

Final Crit Progress

I didn't really receive much feedback at the crit. I know I'm on the right track, it's just getting it done now. 

So let's do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment