Thursday 18 May 2017

Extended Practice: End Credits

To fully realise my intentions for my film, I thought my next logical step was to work on the end scene/end credits. I had put this scene off for so long, as it seemed like it was going to be the hardest to animate.

I was not wrong.

End Scene Progress

I decided that I would animate the first three to four seconds of this scene, as I wanted to experiment with the idea of them fading away as they're running into the distance, rather than animating the entire run/skip cycle that lasts about 10 seconds. I soon realised that animating the whole scene wouldn't be plausible anyway; the characters are already starting to lose quality as it is, and they've traveled less than half of this distance I originally intended. As much as I wanted to keep the 'loosing the shoe' element in the story, as it was a spontaneous moment that would add to the personality of the character, and got a chuckle out of my classmates during critiques, I don't think I'm going to be able to keep it. It's a lot more work for something that isn't entirely necessary, and by that point the lines will be too thick to include detail. 

I was hoping to have completed all of my line work for hand-in, but unfortunately I haven't been successful. Besides having to put some time aside for other modules and assets needed for submission (which I should have planned for in advance, in retrospect), this scene is taking a lot longer than I had originally anticipated. I have spent a good three days on it as it stands, and there's still around 15 in-betweens left to do in order to reach 3 seconds. With that being said, I'm happy with the progress I have made with it so far. It is looking like it may just turn into one of my strongest scenes too. 
I think the skipping and running is particularly well timed, and I've been able to differentiate between the personalities of the two characters by altering how they both run. The older sister's skip is very bouncy and fluid, whereas the younger sister is struggling to keep up and is having to half skip, half run. 
I found this scene particularly challenging as the two are holding hands. This meant that I couldn't really animate them separately as I usually would, but instead had to consider the timing and spacing of the characters together. On top of that, the perspective of the shot has been really difficult to work with, but I stuck at it rather than changing the angle of the shot (which I was tempted by, multiple times) as I don't think a different angle would have been as effective. I also would have had to rethink my end credits, so in the end I think it wouldn't have saved me that much time by the time I had worked out the logistics of the scene.


End Credits - Rough Plan

Here I have quickly experimented with the end credits, by using the assets I made to make my art board/Crew Biographies. The text is obviously not consistent, but this is something I will correct when I come to do the titles properly.
I think it's not far off from what I want it to look like, but at the moment the running sequence seems to end too abruptly. Whether this is because it is unfinished and that I've not been able to properly experiment with holding the frame or having them fade away yet, I'm unsure. My plan is to finish the animation first and revisit this idea, so I will have a better idea of whether or not this scene is going to work. If I discover that it doesn't work, I think my next option to explore would be to include another subtle camera pan, but this time have the camera going back up into the sky. I think this could be a nice touch, as it would end the way it started (much like how the characters haven't got anywhere with their kite flying), and this would offer me more space to place my credits. I was unsure where to place the text in this example; over the grass in the bottom right hand corner felt a little too out of place for me, and placing it over the trees on either side wasn't an option as the text didn't stand out enough. Though I'm not fully convinced tucked away at the top over the sky is the best solution either. Again, this is something I shall revisit, once the scene is animated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment