Thursday 11 December 2014

The Classical Elements: Animating at Last

Due to how much planning I had carried out, and because my camera zoom tests went well, I decided to start animating. I just jumped straight in, using my tests and my storyboard as a guide. 

What I have so far

I started off by marking out where the characters were going to stand, as I believe the candles to be the most important element of the animation. The backgrounds and other features shall be drawn around them, rather than trying to fit the candles into a predetermined space. 
To get started I copied the candles over from my original drawing, and pasted them onto each frame in the video layer I created in photoshop. As there wasn't a lot of movement from my characters, I was able to progress very quickly by simply copying frames. I haven't yet drawn the flames in detail, but I have sketched the key frames out on a separate layer, so I will be able to return to this at the end after I have drawn out my backgrounds, so I can work with transparency levels to create different effects/textures for the flame.

To say this is going to be my first complex animation using Photoshop and video layers, I think I'm doing well, and have actually surprised myself at how much I have managed to get done in such a short amount of time. I might have been able to get more done if I had realised sooner that you can't paste more than one element onto one frame within the video layer, and that I would have to create separate layers to work with. 

So, to summarise, I think it's going well so far. I am going to continue working the way I am to get my candles finished, then I shall begin to consider backgrounds if I have no amendments to make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment