Tuesday 2 December 2014

The Classical Elements: Lightheaded by Mike Dacko

Before I got started with animating, I wanted to do a little bit of research into work that other animators have produced to help me with my own. In particular I wanted to look at how flames flicker as well as how candles burn, and how other artists have animated this. I could just light a candle myself and draw from it (which I'm probably going to do), but I wanted to see how other people have tackled it, so I have a range of options for when it comes to animating my own flames. 

Lightheaded by Mike Dacko

Whilst browsing the internet, I stumbled across this animation by Mike Dacko and I'm glad that I did because it's a great example of what I was looking for. The flame looks realistic and gives off a warm glow, and I like the way that the flame is transparent towards the wick. It actually seems as though it is burning. I also like the way that the flames sway slowly/slightly from side to side, to show that the atmosphere is calm. This is what I want to initially create in my own animation, but then I shall have the flame under distress as the child blows out the candles. I could then look at when the characters in the animation are running as another reference for this. 

Even though it is not necessarily relevant this time around, I also really like the way that the characters walk in this animation. The running and walking cycles are very realistic and they give the character more personality and life, which I think really enhances the character's appeal, especially as their limbs squish slightly as they run. I would like to incorporate this aspect into my own animation, and have my candle seem "squishy" as it curls up and extends to try and jump closer to the female candle in my story.  

Another thing that stood out to me about this animation, was the sounds that the characters make when they are emerging from the hot wax. I think it compliments the movement/action well, and I would like to experiment making a similar sort of sound for when my candles are places on the cake. This maybe another subtle giveaway to the ending that I give, but then again it could just be a noise that makes the animation more bubbly and quirky. 



No comments:

Post a Comment