Thursday 28 January 2016

Responsive Collaboration: Initial Research

We had a quick look at some initial artists and adverts that we were interested in as a starting point. The first artist that my partner showed me was Brittney Lee, who is a designer and animator that works with paper. I liked how crisp and clean the shapes were, as well as the bright colours that were used.

Brittney Lee

This prompted me to think about Julianna Szabo. The work she makes is mostly 3D sculptures made of just paper, and though we haven't really discussed working in 3D, I think her work is beautifully made. She has also made a few 2D paper cut animations which we could always use as a reference or inspiration.

Julianna Szabo

We both really liked the simplicity of this Kinder Chocolate Advert, and it has the general 'feel' to it that we're hoping for. It's child friendly, but also appeals to mother. We also liked how the text was used to highlight key features and pieces of information, and is something we might consider with our own work.

Kinder Chocolate Advert

Personally, I think this Ben and Jerry's advert is very accurate in terms of the style I'd like to capture with our animation. I like how the cows are constructed and how they move, almost like a paper puppet. The style is also consistent throughout the characters and the set; It's simplistic but works very well. I like that even though it is made up of 2D elements, but still has depth, which is something I'd like to recreate.

Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Advert

At this moment we seem to have similar ideas in terms of what we want to create ourselves, but we still have a lot to discuss, and a lot of testing to do. We are going to try and carry out further research and make up some mood boards so we can gain a better understanding of where we both stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment