Monday 4 January 2016

Responsive: LoopdeLoop2 - Designing a Game

Now that character and environmental design had been taken care of, I decided it would be best to design the game that the two sisters were going to play. I had previously already opted for a console/video game over a board game, as this was more realistic for our characters and I thought a board game would be more fiddly to animate considering the pieces needed for a board game.

I began to think of simple 2D games that I would be able to take inspiration from. My initial thoughts were games such as Tetris, Space Invaders and Pong, as these would be quite simple to animate in After Effects and I could still make them look good. I was unsure about whether to go with one of these ideas, so I carried out further research into simplistic games, when I remembered about a game we used to play together on the Wii. The game involved tanks that you controlled, and in order to win you had to destroy the enemy tanks before they shot you. I didn't go with this idea, but it did inspire me to look at 2D shooter games, and that's when I found CSPSP which heavily inspired my game's design.

Wii Play - Tank Game

CSPSP

I started off by drawing the TV and it's stand, and I made sure to do so in a colour palette that was similar to my first drawing. I then drew all the different components of the game on separate layers so I could import them into After Effects and animate them individually at a later date.

Game Design

No comments:

Post a Comment