Monday 4 January 2016

Responsive: LoopdeLoop2 - Animating

I thought animating my game would be relatively straight-forward, and it was to a certain extent but I had restarted my progress a couple of times. I found that when I was making the army men move, the motion paths that they followed started off to be very fluid and smooth, but about 5 seconds into animating the motion paths that I created were no longer curved, instead were straight and the movements seemed jagged. At first I thought I had simply changed something by mistake but couldn't figure out what it was, and because I hadn't done a great deal of work, simply decided to start again. At first the problem seemed to have corrected itself, but I found it started to do it again after a certain amount of time. Rather than start again this time, I googled my problem (which in hindsight is what I should have done the first time) and soon discovered that the settings for the curve were different on some keyframes. Rather than my keyframe interpolation being set to "Continuous/Auto Bezier" as they usually were, they were set to "Linear", which is why they were now moving in straight lines. It was a problem that I had not come across before but it was an easy fix, and I was able to get the scene done relatively quickly. 

 
Game Scene

Rather than have layers upon layers for the different bullets that the army men were shooting, I decided to have just two be shot at any given time, and I simply set keyframes for those layer's opacity levels so you couldn't see the transition between each shot. 

I also experimented with different effects in this scene. I wanted the TV to glow to show the brightness of the screen, so I added an effect to a null layer I created and hid behind the TV screen. I then made it large enough so that the light shone past the edge of the television and edited the values so that it wasn't as bold, yet instead was a subtle glow. I then animated the effect growing and shrinking for one cycle, then made this sequence loop for the duration of the animation. This was a quick and easy addition, but I think it has greatly improved the scene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment