Tuesday 5 January 2016

Responsive: LoopdeLoop2 - Creating the Last Scenes and Components

In order to make my animation loop, I needed to create a little insert to break up the different scenes. I wanted the screen to say "*so much time* later..." to indicate the transition between fighting and getting along nicely, as well as how quickly this transition can take place. 
I opted for a shade of blue/teal that was featured in the rug in the living room so that the insert fit well with the general aesthetic of the animation. The text I chose was also the font that was used to indicate the players' scores/HP in the game so that there was further consistency. As much as I liked the insert, I just thought it was lacking somehow, so I opened up the layers in After Effects and made the text fade in to make it more interesting and less static. 

Five Minutes Later Insert

The only thing left to animate was my first scene where the sisters are happily playing their game. The scene didn't require a great deal of movement as they were only pressing buttons on their controllers so I was able to complete this scene relatively quickly. There wasn't even a great deal of colouring to do, as by copying the first coloured frame over to the next there wasn't much re-colour, just the area around the thumbs and the odd upper-body movement.

Happily Playing Game Scene

It wasn't until I'd finished animating that I realised I had made a mistake that I couldn't rectify. I realised I hadn't set the frame rate at the beginning of my work session and actually ended up animating at 30fps. It wasn't a massive deal breaker, and it was because the movements were quite subtle that I didn't realise that I was working at the wrong frame rate. It was a bit awkward for me working out the timings of the upper-body movements because of the fact I was oblivious to my mistake, but I think I was able to do a decent job in the end. The only issue now is that my clips are at different frame rates, so I shall have to make sure I interpret the footage to have to correct FPS when it comes to putting them altogether. I shall also have to make sure to check in future, as my issues could have easily been avoided if I had done so.

No comments:

Post a Comment