Tuesday 20 January 2015

Environmental Storytelling: 101 Dalmatians

I always liked watching 101 Dalmatians as a child, but I never really appreciated the effort that went into the film, especially the backgrounds. I have watched it again recently and was taken back by the settings, this one in particular.



I really like the art style of 101 Dalmatians. It's relatively basic in terms of shading and detail, but because there's so much thought that's put into it and so much line work, it makes each scene rather intricate. I like how this style contrasts slightly with the style of the characters. They are just as simple as the backgrounds, but their colours are bolder and brighter, making them stand out. Not so much that they feel out of place, but just enough so they don't get buried with the scene.

Example of Contrast Between Character and Background

I also like the colour palette they have used for 101 Dalmatians. There is a wide range of colours but they haven't used any that are particularly bright or dazzling, instead the colours are quite dull and murky which are consistent throughout the film. I like how because of this Roger's room doesn't seem particularly bright, although we can see that the room is lit up from daylight through the windows. It helps give across a "homely" feel, although it isn't very welcoming due to all the clutter. I also appreciate that the clutter isn't just a random assortment of objects, yet each one relates to the character and his personality/occupation, making the scene more believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment