Sunday 25 January 2015

Take 5: A Phantasy in Colors

A Phantasy in Colors is an animation by Norman McLaren that also looks at animating sounds. It was produced in 1948 and in comparison to Fischinger's Komposition in Blau it is much more abstract and playful. The experimental animation was produced by drawing images and patterns directly onto film to accompany three different pieces of jazz music. I think the film is very aesthetically pleasing, but for me I don't think the images accurately represent the sounds. They seem to move out of time with the music unlike Komposition in Blau which was very "uniform". Having said this, the animation is just as interesting to watch and I can appreciate the use of colour and different shapes & patterns to represent different sounds.

A Phantasy in Colors

Where as I don't think the movements of the shapes accurately synchronize with the music (with certain exceptions such as [3:07] and [4:07]) I do feel that the general atmosphere that is created with the use of the playful patterns and colours compliments the music nicely as it has the same calming effect as listening to the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment