Saturday 24 January 2015

Take 5: Sound Four

I definitely had the most fun with this sound. It sounded like it was thick in texture and was very "slurpy" and messy. The sound made me picture someone sticking a straw into a bowl of custard and blowing on it, and it didn't give me a headache when it was looped, which is always a bonus. 
The sound started off slow and "built into chaos", and because it was a fun sound I focused primarily on squiggly lines. The clip sounded quite dirty and messy so I chose to use quite murky colours to try and represent what I heard. 


I felt that my diagrams accurately described the sound, but the media just wasn't right. The pencil and pen lines were too thin, and didn't portray how thick the noise was. I figured the best media to use was Acrylic paint, so I started using that. I didn't water the paint down, but instead used large quantities of paint and pushed it around with brushes and sponges.









Here (bottom right) I tried out different coloured backgrounds. By this point I was working exclusively in these three colours, but hadn't yet considered one of them to be a background colour. I like all of my experiments, especially due to how thick the paint is, so you can feel the grooves where I scraped away at it with the end of my paintbrush. I particularly like the yellow background, as I like how it contrasts with the brown/green mix that sits on top of it. Due to how much I liked this design, I decided to create a similar one but more large scale (bottom left).

No comments:

Post a Comment