Thursday 8 January 2015

The Classical Elements: Making Adjustments (1)

I wanted to try and add glow around my candles as I thought this was a really good suggestion, and I don't know how I didn't come up with it myself. I wasn't quite sure how I would go about doing it, so I simply opened up the original file and began experimenting on a separate layer (as if I needed any more of them).

Attempt One

I tried using the brush tool to create darkness surrounding the character, and an orange glow around the flames. I then used the eraser tool at different degrees of opacity to make the colour fade and make it stand out less. I don't think my first attempt was too bad, thought I don't like how the black wasn't smooth. I was also unsure of whether it was too dark. Anyway, I tried it again to try and make the black less patchy, and whilst I was at it, I tested the opacity of the layer as a whole to get the correct brightness. 

Attempt Two

I very much prefer the second experiment, as it is cleaner and more consistent with the style I have used. I like how the shadow takes the focus off the background just that bit more, and brings your attention to the girl in the middle. 
I went ahead and tried animating this glow, and making it sync with the rest of the animation, considering that I liked it and thought that it made the situation feel more realistic. 

Glow Test

I really think this small addition has greatly improved my animation and it has made the birthday situation seem much more realistic, as the lights are usually off/down whilst the cake is presented. I was unsure whether the transition of the shadow/darkness worked considering I had only used it in the last couple of seconds, but when I sought out others' opinions on it, they seemed to like it. It looks like I'm keeping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment