Tuesday 6 January 2015

The Classical Elements: Adding Sound

After I had finished with my titles, it was time for me to add sound. I wanted to record my own rather than try and find appropriate sound recordings, as I was interested in learning how to use the equipment in the sound recording room. By doing this it would also allow me to get the sounds exactly how I wanted them (to an extent).

I had a quick induction and got started on recording my sounds. There is no dialogue in the animation, so I literally just had to record the sound effects which included a lighter click, a cough, a sigh, a wolf whistle and the sound of the girl blowing out the candles at the end. The lighter was straight forward but the others I found more difficult as I was make the noises myself, and I had to try and make them last just the right amount of time. By doing this I wouldn't distort the audio by decreasing the length of time that they played for when I came to sync them with my animation.

I was able to collect the sounds rather quickly, but some of them weren't quite what I wanted. For example, I wanted the cough to actually sound like a man's cough (deeper) and I would have liked the whistle to be a bit more high pitched. Instead of finding someone to help me record these sounds, I tried to edit the material I already had to save time. I slowed the cough clip down, and this resulted in a deeper sound, one which I was happy with. As this proved to be success I tried the opposite for my whistle. I sped the clip up and this resulted in a much more high pitched/squeaky whistle. The clips sounded fine once I had edited them, so I decided to use them rather than record someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment