Monday 19 January 2015

Environmental Storytelling: Out and About

I originally decided that my last and familiar place that I would look at would be Leeds, but in the end I drew a mixture of familiar places instead.


I started out at Victoria Square like I said I was going to originally, and it was beautifully decorated and lit up with all their Christmas lights. I also really liked the lamps and wanted to draw them as well, so I sketched them out in pencil. I was tempted to use pen or another media to finish of the drawing, but I decided to push myself and stick with pencil, as it has been a long while since I did any pieces of work predominantly in this media. I'm glad that I did as I think I was able to produce a successful sketch to start the day, although this scan does it no justice.


I didn't get many other drawings finished in Leeds, as the weather was terrible for working outside, and I didn't feel well enough to put up with it, so I headed back to the train station. Obviously I missed my train, so I sat it out and decided to draw the interior of the station. It seemed interesting enough. I stuck to my pencil drawings because I had a bit of time to kill, and really focused on getting the proportions and perspective right in this piece. I think it is one of my favourite drawings of the whole brief, as I think I have been able to capture the space well, and I have been able to incorporate a level of detail that I am happy with.


When it was nearly time for my train, I headed to my platform, and I really liked the view that I got stood there. Again, as I had time to kill, I decided to draw. I chose pen this time around as I didn't have long until my train came, that and the wind was making my hands go numb. I tried to shade and add detail by using cross hatching, something I hadn't covered much in the past, and I think it went well. I'm happy with how the drawing seems fairly accurate considering I was a little rushed for time. 


On the way home the sky looked really pretty, and I thought it would be nice to try something a little different to what I had previously been doing. I created the colours in the background using watercolours, and once it had dried worked over the top of it using a range of different pens. The drawing wasn't as successful as I'd have hoped it to be, as I feel I wasn't able to capture the sky accurately enough and the piece doesn't feel detailed. Having said this, it was hard for me to do much more with this piece as I was moving, so had to improvise slightly with my surroundings. 



The last drawing took place in somewhere completely unrelated to my Leeds trip. On one of the days (I can't remember which) I went with my dad to THE GOOD OLD FRYSTON PUB, and took my sketchbook just in case. Now the Fryston is nothing special, and if you've been there yourself you'll agree with me, but I'm glad I decided to draw there as I really like my final drawing. I think I have got the perspective right with this piece, and I like how the quick addition of the watercolour really strengthened the drawing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment