Sunday 25 January 2015

Take 5: Gantz Graf

This animation is slightly different to the two I have previously talked about, but is still a great example. Gantz Graf is a track that appears on an EP that was released by Autechre in 2002, and Alex Rutterford - A British director and graphic designer -  digitally created a music video for the song that portrayed the "movements" of the sounds. 

Gantz Graf

The video features an abstract object that accurately synchronizes with the track by morphing. The shape also flickers, dissolves and pulses to represent different elements of the song, such as a change in frequency. This was all done manually and I think Rutterford has done a good job at making the movements accurate, not only this but I like the way the camera changes position as there is a slight pause from the hectic sounds (such as the transition at [0:25-26]). I like how this fits in time to the music and also makes the animation more interesting to watch by allowing us to see the shape at different angles. Similarly I like that the contour lines in the background help to rotate the object in time to the sounds, moving faster when the track is more upbeat and slower when the music calms (example at [2:55]). 

Not only do I think the movements have been synchronized very well, I also like the general aesthetic of the piece. The texture and colour of the shape have obviously be considered, as Rutterford has made it look like metal, which to me ties in nicely with the metal-electro track. I also like that there is just one monochrome object that portrays all the sounds that have been computer generated, unlike the other pieces I mentioned that used different colours and shapes to show different instruments and the lively atmosphere they created. This track is more "rugged" and "harsh" ambiance and I like that this is captured with the dark colours, the sharp edges of the object and the way that it moves. That, and the way that the shape is consistently geometric and uniform perfectly reflects the nature of the song and how it was produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment