Friday 23 January 2015

Environmental Storytelling: Clannad

Clannad was originally a Japanese visual novel developed by Key in 2004, but it was later made into an animated series by Kyoto Animation in 2007.
I watched Clannad a few months back, and I really enjoyed it. The story was beautifully written and parts of it were a little hard to get your head around, but this only enhanced my admiration for the show as I was able to give my own meaning to it. What also struck me about the show was it's settings. A lot of them were incredibly detailed in a way that made them feel very inviting.


The show has a typical anime style, and I like how there is a slight differentiation between the characters & objects in the foreground and the background. The characters are drawn with a definite black outline whereas the background doesn't, making it more realistic. I like how this makes the characters stand out from the background, but at the same time makes it feel as though they belong there. However, this style isn't consistent throughout the episode/series. 

Example of the Difference in Styles

In the show there is a different plane that runs parallel to plane that the main characters live in, and to differentiate between these worlds there is a different art style used. The setting seems much more lifelike and the colour palette is extremely vibrant. In this particular example, I love how the colours help portray that the sun is setting, and how it gives of a warm feel that compliments the mood of story at this time. I really like this shift in styles as I think it helps you to really get lost in the world the artists are creating, as well as feel connected to the characters and the story. I also think that the difference in the art style isn't too drastic so it fits nicely, and it really helps to differentiate between the two worlds, which really helped me understand the story a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment