Wednesday 18 February 2015

Applied Animation: Dexter

Even though it isn't an animation, I wanted to briefly talk about Dexter's title sequence, as it could be something I potentially look at in more detail.

Dexter - Title Sequence

This title sequence is made up of a variety of close up shots of Dexter performing different actions in his morning routine. This works incredibly well for the show, as it accurately represents the attention to detail that he has, being a serial killer. The way that these things have been shot also makes watching incredibly mundane actions more interesting, so much so that it is very rare that I skipped the title sequence.

I think something like this would also work well for my own sequence, but instead of looking at events in the morning routine, I could focus on the details of a crime scene or at least something more relevant to the story. I could even focus on main features in the plot of the story I choose, because this way it would give the audience a taste for what the story is about without revealing too much detail.

Even if I don't create the whole title sequence in this way, I think it would definitely be a good idea to show some aspects close up, as the characters in Kernick's stories also have an attention to detail that Dexter possesses, and I think this could be a nice touch. I could even combine this style with the simplistic style of both Saul Bass and Kuntzel+Deygas, should I chose to adapt a similar way of working.

No comments:

Post a Comment