Monday 23 February 2015

You Spin Me Right Round

For this brief we were to choose an interesting object to create a turn-around (Bright eyes...) for. In other words we were to draw the same object 12 times from different angles (30 degree angles) so that when the frames where put together it would look like the object was spinning.

It took me a while to choose my object, as I didn't want it to be too simple, but I didn't want the object to be hard to draw over and over, as this was going to be my first attempt at a turn around. In the end I went for a peanut ornament that my sisters bought me absolutely years ago, as it seemed interesting enough. 

Photo of the Spinning/Drawing Process

I found this task quite hard to do, but that's mostly because I was doing it at home, on cartridge paper, without a light box, or a turn table. Instead I had drawn out my angles on a piece of paper and stood my ornament in the middle where the lines crossed over. I then had to try my best to keep the drawings at the same height and volume, which proved EXTREMELY DIFFICULT.

Note to self: Never do this again without punch paper and a light box. Ever.

Test Scan

I kept my drawings in pencil rather than going over them in pen or fine-liner. I wanted to scan them in and see if the animation ran smoothly before I edited my original frames. I personally much prefer the finish fine liner gives (most of the time), especially to characters that look "cartoony", like this peanut for example.

I think the test run works surprising well, considering the circumstances. The only criticism I would give it would be the eyes. In one of the frames the eyes widen quite noticeably, where as other little imperfections come from the sketchy drawing, and I think once the drawing is neatened these should be removed. I should also be able to fix the problem with the eyes when I go over the frames too.

As a whole I'm very pleased with my test run. The animation has run smoother than expected and there doesn't seem to be any major flaws. I would like to finish the turn around with fine liner, and even potentially colour as I think this would greatly improve the piece, but I quite like the visual aesthetic of the test as it stands; It reminds me of old television programs the way the background flickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment