Wednesday 25 February 2015

Applied Animation: Plot Summary of Ultimatum

My second option for a book is Ultimatum. Ultimatum features a selection of reoccurring characters such as Tina Boyd and Mike Bolt, but is slightly different to the other books that I have read by Kernick, as the plot focuses on terrorism as apposed to the usual kidnapping or murder that is a common plot in his books.



(The book has no prologue)

Chapters One to Five: The book starts of with a character named Akhtar, who arrives home with a small bunch of flowers that he bought from a petrol station. He opens the door and his world collapses as he finds a man stood next to Mika (the woman he's been cheating on his wife with) with a gun pointed at his head. The Gunman orders the man to shut up and sit down, and he begins to threaten and blackmail Akhtar into carrying out a job, by showing him footage he has of the two together. He says if he doesn't carry out the task, not only will he kill Mika, he will also kill his wife and children. Akhtar knows he is serious as he is able to recall his home address.
Akhtar is told that he is to deliver a backpack to a coffee shop near Victoria Station. He is also instructed by the Gunman to sit near a woman named Martha Crossman (it is hinted at that she has information about the potential terrorist plots) and call him when he is in position. It turns out the backpack contains a bomb, and in the phone that Akhtar is provided with can detonate it. There is a huge explosion and immediate news coverage and police on the scene, including Tina Boyd.
In the next chapter there is a shot of the Gunman on the phone to his supposed boss, letting him know that the job is done. The TV is on showing live footage of the explosion and the thick, black clouds rising into the sky, and when the phone call is over he throws his mobile down at Mika's Corpse on the floor.

Brief Overview: From what I can remember and a very quick flick through the book, the rest of the book is about the police and special forces trying to find out about and catch the people behind the terrorist attacks. The terrorists leave clues and messages for the police, and the towards the end of the book there is an attack on The Shard in London, where there is a huge explosion, and many people die/are injured.


I think this story definitely has potential to be an interesting animation, but I shall have to re-read the book if I were to choose it to get more details of the plot as I can barely remember it. I also think that I would have to focus on the entire plot rather than just the first few chapters, as I think they will need more of a dialogue, which will require me to acquire assistance with voice actors, which I might not be able to get a hold of. It would be a nice touch however, and it would also be nice to explore this aspect for the first time.
I also think that if I was to choose this story, I would look at focusing on a number of events similar to Dexter, to not give too much of the plot away. I would also focus on the location, and possibly create some cityscapes, to hint that The Shard will be involved in the story. I think the main concern with this story would be creating an explosion. It may be a little hard to do if I chose to produce the animation in just a selection of colours, but there will definitely be ways of tackling this.

No comments:

Post a Comment