Wednesday 18 February 2015

Maya Modelling: Do It Yourself! (Part Two)

Yesterday evening I was able to get Maya on my computer at home because I'm a student, so I thought I'd play around with it, because you know, I could. I thought I'd experiment further with different materials and textures, so I attempted a model of a small glass bottle I had in my room. Sculpting the object didn't take me very long at all, but trying to make the glass took quite a bit of time. I was searching the library to see what materials already existed in Maya, and when there wasn't a Glass texture I experimented with what was there. In the end I used Blinn and set the transparency of the object to around 98%, as well as adjusting a couple of other features.

For the cork in the bottle, I saved an image of the texture from Google and tried to import it as a texture in Maya. This took me quite a while, as I couldn't seem to get it to work. After a few attempts I realised it was just not showing up in the work space, but once I performed a render preview it was there.


My Glass Bottle

I don't think the glass is perfect, but it definitely looks more convincing than simply making a white material transparent (like I did for my windows on my boat). I have found this experiment incredibly useful as it has given me experience in using different textures as well as strengthened my basic skills that little bit more. I will have to practice with lighting though, as I really struggled getting it right with this project. I managed to do an okay job in the end, but I don't think it does the bottle much justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment