Wednesday 18 February 2015

Applied Animation: Saul Bass

Researching further into Saul Bass I've found that a lot of his title sequences have the same style running across them, with the exception of a couple than incorporate more colour and detail (such as Ocean's Eleven). For example, The Man With the Golden Arm is another title sequence that has been produced in monochrome colours. In this animation, there are thick white lines that move around the frame and the text to make it more entertaining that simply reading text. This has nothing to do with the plot (with the exception of the crooked hand at the end, produced the the same style) yet fits nicely as a title sequence.

Ocean's Eleven (1960) - Title Sequence

The Man With the Golden Arm (1955) - Title Sequence

The more I am researching into 2D title sequnces, the more it is appealing to me. I think a simplistic sequence would create a nice contrast from the violent nature of the 'film', and it would be a less graphic way to show some of the scenes. I like the idea that the silhouettes hide the identity of the characters/villains and keep the mystery alive. Having said this, I don't think I would like to work as simplistic as this example (The Man With the Golden Arm), instead look to incorporate the level of detail that is featured in Catch me if you Can. I would like to stay clear of using too many colours like in the Ocean's Eleven sequence, but I do like the way the text isn't stationary and how it emerges from some of the subjects (similarly to Bass' other sequences). This maybe something I look at in more detail when it comes to planning out my storyboard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment