Sunday 2 November 2014

Flippin 'Eck: Flipbook Research

Whilst I was browsing the interwebs for some cool animations, I came across a guy known as "The Flippist" and I thought his work was pretty awesome so I'm going to talk about it for a bit.

The Flippist takes requests (that you can make at his website, www.theflippist.com) for flip-books and brings them to life. The idea is that they can be given as a gift for a special occasion, for instance a birthday or a marriage proposal. I think what he does is great, as the flip-books are made personal to you. His art style is also really nice, and I think it helps make the message behind the flip-book more heart warming.

Here are a couple of videos I really liked:

The Scuba Love Flip-book

I think this was really sweet. I like how it was so simple yet told the story of how two people met really well. I think the characters in this were really nice too, and I especially like how the blow fish was used to help tell the story, which was in my opinion was very imaginative. There's not much more I can say, other than I think that it was very well put together and that I thought it to be very cute.

Goldilocks and the Two Bears Flip-book

This flip-book really stood out to me too. I like how he took the Goldilocks story and twisted it so that it was announcing that the woman was pregnant, which I thought was a really touching, personal way to give someone this news.

To summarise, I think The Flippist is great. His drawings may not be the most detailed or breathtaking, but there is clearly a lot of effort put into his work. He produces really nice flowing animations and not only do I like the story lines and characters he is able to come up with, I also like the finish of the books and how each are unique and personal to his clients. I also think the whole idea behind what he does is amazing, and wish I could have thought of it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment